Thank you for your interest in the Chemical Engineering Department at CMU for your graduate studies! In order to apply to our graduate programs, prospective students must have completed a regular four-year degree in chemical engineering or a related discipline at a recognized university with a better than B average. Master’s degree applicants are accepted and enrolled for both fall and spring semesters.
Important dates and deadlines
- Fall Admission - Students are enrolled beginning in August with applications opening October 1st of the preceding year. Ph.D. program deadline: December 15th. Master's program deadline: January 15th.
- Spring Admission - The spring application will open on July 1 with a deadline of September 15.
- Decision Notifications - Decisions are announced by April 15 for fall admission and November 15 for spring admission.
- Applications are expected to be complete, including all supporting materials, by the deadline. Please work with your references to ensure timely submission of support letters.
All applications are submitted online using an online application. The online application is designed to permit you to edit and revise your application until you are satisfied. Once submitted, you can check your application status online, at any time. A completed application includes the following:
- Application Fee of $75
- The Graduate Application
- Three letters of recommendation - At least two letters from faculty at your current/recent institution are preferred. For applicants to our research-based programs, at least one letter from someone who has supervised you in a research setting is preferred.
- Uploaded unofficial transcripts - Students who enroll in the program will be instructed to submit hard copy, official transcripts and proof of degree completion before the start of the semester.
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE score report - We no longer accept GRE scores for applications to the Ph.D. program, and no longer require them for applications to the MS/MChE/MSCPS programs. Students can provide scores for MS programs if they'd like, but they are not required, and not considered in assessment of the application.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (if applicable) - if you are an applicant whose native language (language spoken from birth) is not English, proof of English Language Proficiency is required. This requirement cannot be waived for any reason.
- ETS Report Codes: Institution Code – 2074, TOEFL Dept. Code – 64
- In addition to TOEFL and IELTS, we will now accept the online Duolingo English Test for applicants for whom English was not their first language. These tests include a proficiency composite score, section subscores, video interview, and writing sample which are shared with CMU Chemical Engineering when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test session. For more information, please visit the websites for the Duolingo English Test Please send Duolingo scores to: Carnegie Mellon University – College of Engineering
Please deliver your IELTS to:
Carnegie Mellon University College of Engineering
431 Hamerschlag Drive
Ansys Hall Suite 250
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
For additional questions about our graduate applications process, please contact:
Graduate Programs Manager
Please refrain from mailing hard copies of supporting documents and other documents such as publications or certificates. These items will not be filed with your application and will not be held by the department.