Thank you for your interest in the Chemical Engineering Department at CMU for your graduate studies! In order to apply to our graduate programs, prospective students must have completed a regular four-year degree in chemical engineering or a related discipline at a recognized university with a better than B average. Master’s degree applicants are accepted and enrolled for both fall and spring semesters.
We understand that some students' plans may have changed due the COVID-19 pandemic. For our Fall 2020 Master's programs, we are reopening the application from May 6 – June 15, on a rolling admission basis, to support those students considering graduate education.
Students who require a visa and are located outside of the U.S. are encouraged to consider a remote entry to our MS program for Fall 2020 as it is unlikely they will be able to obtain a visa in time for Fall 2020. Students can also consider waiting to apply for the Spring 2021 or Fall 2021 semesters. The application for Spring 2021 entry will open in July. The application for Fall 2021 entry will open in October.
Important dates and deadlines
- Fall Admission - Students are enrolled beginning in August with applications opening October 1st of the preceding year. Ph.D. program deadline: December 15th. Master's program deadline: January 15th (extended through June 15).
- Spring Admission - The spring application will open on July 1 with a deadline of September 15.
- Decision Notifications - Decisions are announced by April 15 for fall admission and November 15 for spring admission.
- Applications are expected to be complete, including all supporting materials, by the deadline. Please work with your references to ensure timely submission of support letters.
All applications are submitted online using an online application. The online application is designed to permit you to edit and revise your application until you are satisfied. Once submitted, you can check your application status online, at any time. A completed application includes the following:
- Application Fee of $75
- The Graduate Application
- Three letters of recommendation - At least two letters from faculty at your current/recent institution are preferred. For applicants to our research-based programs, at least one letter from someone who has supervised you in a research setting is preferred.
- Uploaded unofficial transcripts - Students who enroll in the program will be instructed to submit hard copy, official transcripts and proof of degree completion before the start of the semester.
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE score report - official scores are required of all applicants.
- TOEFL/IELTS score report - if you are an international applicant and your native language (language spoken from birth) is not English, an official copy of your score report is required. The TOEFL/IELTS requirement cannot be waived for any reason.
- ETS Report Codes: Institution Code - 2074, GRE Dept. Code - 1001, TOEFL Dept. Code - 64
- TOEFL Minimum - Overall score of 84
- IELTS Minimum - Overall score of 7.0
Please deliver your IELTS to:
Carnegie Mellon University College of Engineering
431 Hamerschlag Drive
Ansys Hall Suite 250
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
For additional questions about our graduate applications process, please contact:
Graduate Programs Manager
Please refrain from mailing hard copies of supporting documents and other documents such as publications or certificates. These items will not be filed with your application and will not be held by the department.